Sunday 29 April 2012

The Art of Negotiation...

Negotiation... An important part in any Buyers job role. This is a part of my job that I love and hate in equal measure! Negotiating well means neither party need feel cheated, manipulated, or taken advantage of. At the end of the day, we are all here to make a few pennies! Any deal finalized should be to the benefit of both parties, this is easier said than done when we all have margin targets to consider.

My top tips..

1- Knowledge is power- The more you know about the price of your cloth/rivets/laundry processes/raw material market value/cost of a beer in Turkey the better. Arm yourself with numbers.

2- Be nice- This should be easy, but in business is often mistaken for weakness or naivety, I am not a doormat! I would rather build a relationship with my suppliers and work together in a fair, positive and respectful environment. I am confirming an order not waging war!.. However.. If I feel I am being taken advantage of... the fangs come out, and my teeth are sharper than yours!

3- Keep quiet- Silence is a powerful tool, let your suppliers do all the talking. I promise, you will get to where you need to be much quicker than rambling on and losing focus of your target!

4- Wear a Blazer- What can I say, the shoulder pads give me special powers!!











No comments:

Post a Comment